Non-Toxic Laundry


 Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush
 
This is the way we wash our clothes,
Wash our clothes,
Wash our clothes.
This is the way we wash our clothes,
So early Monday morning.


It's Monday  morning and I am doing my laundry-my mom did her laundry on Monday and I can remember helping her run clothes through a wringer washing machine and then hanging them out to dry.  My sister's diapers were always boiled in a large washing pot on the stove before they even made it to the washer. While I helped mom, she told me about helping her mother wash clothes on Mondays, but Nanoo used a big cast iron pot boiling on an outside fire.  Of course time passed, and the family upgraded to automatic washers and dryers.  Now, the old black wash pot sits at the back of my mom's house with herbs planted in it.
Even if you're not doing laundry today,  I'm sure if you are like me,  you are always looking for non-toxic ways to wash and dry clothes.  Here are a few cleaning tips I use.


  1. Vinegar-white distilled  (save your raw apple cider vinegar for cooking-check out willie's old time wisdom's blog at http://williefishornot.blogspot.com/2012/12/thirsty-try-switchel.html  for a inexpensive drink using ACV.)
  • Use  1/2 cup as a fabric softener and static cling reducer in the rinse cycle - this also helps remove lint and soap residue so dark clothes don't look dull
  • Remember me telling you about my mom boiling her clothes-well if you want to whiten your clothes; boil dingy white socks, washcloths, etc. in 2 cups of vinegar placed in a large pot of water for about 5 minutes and then let the clothes soak overnight .  The next day wash as usual.
  • Finally, if you put clothes in the washer and then forgot to take them out and now they have a moldy smell-just wash in hot water using 2 cups of vinegar.  This will kill mold and mildew.  Then, wash as usual.
Making laundry detergent is a good way to know what you are washing your dirty clothes in (and the link at mother earth living at the bottom of this blog has a really good recipe) but time and the vast quantity made is not practical for everyone. So I've come up with some semi-homemade detergent solutions.


2.   Laundry Detergent

  • Use one of the many natural laundry detergents available as they are packaged - then add to them.  I like Seventh Generation 4X Laundry Detergent.  Then add 3-5 drops of essential oils  into the softener compartment (not with vinegar). Usually I use lemongrass or lavender but if it's cold season I use a little Germ Fighter or Thieves oil.
  • If I have a problem sleeping, I use some Chamomile or Orange Blossoms in the wash water as well as the softener compartment when I do the bedding.
  • Add baking soda to detergent to brighten colors- I mix 1/2 cup with some hot water and add it with the liquid detergent.

3.     Dryer
  •  Hang your laundry outside or  if you're unable to put up a line due to home owners association regulations use a portable clothes drying rack.
  • Avoid dryer sheets.  Add 3 drops of essential oil to a damp cloth and run it with your clothes.
  • Use a dryer ball to help reduce static and wrinkles.  


4. Ironing
  • Why did you stop reading, does no one iron their sheets and pillowcases anymore?  Well, if you do need to iron, a few drops of essential oil mixed with water in a mist bottle keep your clothes fresh smelling.  You can use one oil, like lavender, or make up a mix of your choice.  I like geranium and lemon together.

5.  Athletic Shoes
  • Athletic shoes appear often in the laundry room.  Since most can not be placed in the washer like the Keds of old, I  use some baking soda mixed with a few drops of oil to freshen them up. My favorite is 2 teaspoons of baking soda mixed with lavender and rosemary. These new school basketball shoes up for bid at Willie's eBay store are as fresh now as when purchased.
 (For more in depth information on toxic materials used in laundry products check this link:http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/toxic-laundry-detergent-ingredients-zmez12mazmel.aspx )

Comments

Popular Posts