Milling Wheat Berries and Making a Cheesy Zucchini Bread




I buy certified organic hard red wheat in bulk to use in cooking as well as sprouting.  I like the heartier taste of the red and the warm color of the breads made with it.   



I store the berries in glass storage jars with a bay leaf on the bottom and the top of the jar; this keeps moisture and unwanted little buggies out.


Even though the wheat berries come cleaned, I hand examine the grain looking for any foreign objects.


Found just a few unusual grains in the wheat berries.

 I use the Blendtec Kitchen Mill to mill  my  flour; it grinds at a cool temperature keeping the flour from heating up and getting a rancid taste.

 In just one minute I milled 2 cups of flour for the Zucchini Cheesy Bread I wanted to make for 
supper.



I like to mill just as much flour as I need; this ensures the freshest taste and the most nutrition.


Whole wheat flour is made up of the germ, the starch and the bran.  I like to use all of the milled flour in my cooking in order to get the maximum nutrition.

Next, I used a box grater to grate on cup of zucchini.


I wrapped the grated zucchini in paper towels.

Then, the paper towel package into a kitchen towel in order to absorb the moisture of the zucchini.


Next, I grated 1 cup of Cracker Barrel Mediterranean Herb Cheddar Cheese.



Ingredients
  • 2 cups freshly milled wheat berries
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon  baking soda 
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Sugar in the Raw
  • 1 cup grated Mediterranean Cheddar Cheese
  • 1 cup grated zucchini squeezed dry to remove moisture
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup of plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup butter -melted in pan as oven is heating to 375 degrees
  • 1/4 cup grated onion
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions
  1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
  2. In a medium bowl whisk egg and yogurt.
  3. Stir liquid ingredients into the dry.
  4. Fold in zucchini, cheese, onion, and mustard.
  5. Fold in melt butter.
  6. Pour the batter into the cast iron frying pan.



Bake 40-45 minutes in a 375 degree oven.


The bread should be well risen and brown and a tester inserted into the middle should come out clean.


Remove from the pan.


Homemade Cheesy Zucchini Bread and salad for supper in less than an hour.

Comments

Popular Posts