Fresh Pumpkin Butter for Breakfast

Two weeks after Thanksgiving and I have not one but two pumpkins in my box from Annie's Organic Buying Club.  Now, I love pumpkins: especially in pies, rolls, breads, cakes, cookies; but, I wanted to try something new.  I've had pumpkin butter but have never made it myself; so, I decided to make pumpkin butter to have on pancakes for breakfast this morning!
 Pumpkin Butter tastes almost like apple butter ( if you have never tried it) but I think it's even better.


Ingredients
  •  3 cups of fresh pumpkin puree (roasted pumpkin flesh pureed in Blendtec blender until smooth)
  • 1/8 cup organic apple juice
  • 3/4 cup Natural Cane Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
  • 1 whole cinnamon stick
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • 1 pinch sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice



 Directions
  1. Place pumpkin puree in heavy cast iron pot (I use Cousances enameled cast iron)
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for the vanilla and lemon juice
  3. Cook slowly over low heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally
  4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and lemon juice

This pumpkin butter should last 2 weeks in the refrigerator.


It was delicious served on pumpkin pancakes with a little maple syrup!

Comments

  1. This would be yummy in graham cracker crumb tart crusts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts