Medicinal Aloe Vera


Aloe Vera Plant
 Aloe Vera plants are one of the easiest natural medicinal plants to grow; just make sure not to over water or place directly in the sun.  A plant in the kitchen can provide immediate relief for a minor burn.  A few plants in the garden are wonderful when too long has been spent in the sun, can help remove the sting from insect bites, and soothe a rash from a prickly plant.   I have always grown my own plant at the old house.  But when I can to visit Willie last year, I did not bring a plant along.
As you know, last year was a little stressful for me and I seemed to experience some stomach upset.  So, I immediately thought of aloe.  Drinking aloe juice can help your digestive system function normally, according to the Maharishi Ayurveda website.  I know a drink of aloe vera juice helps to relieve gastrointestinal disorders like indigestion. I decided to purchase the only brand of aloe I could find here in Paradise.


One gallon

 I used the aloe in my morning smoothies.


Used 2 oz. daily

 I made a smoothie each morning.  Yet, I did not notice any improvement and  aloe is supposed to be able to reduce symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome including bloating and discomfort.  Then I read an article about carrageenan.

Other ingredients-Carrageenan

A prominent researcher, Joanne K. Tobacman, M.D., now associate professor of clinical medicine at the University of Illinois College of Medicine, conducted studies linking undegraded carrageenan - the type that is widely used in foods - with malignancies and other stomach problems.  Why take aloe for my stomach when an ingredient in it is linked to causing stomach problems?  Dr Weil provides further answers on the ingestion of carrageenan.

New aloe vera juice

No extra ingredients
I purchased some aloe vera juice with no added ingredients and find that the stomach problems I was experiencing are gone.  While I can't be sure it was the carrageenan, I plan to avoid it as an ingredient in my diet. I do know that the first plant in the garden at my new home will be an Aloe Vera!

 Next time I will let you know what I made with the remainder of the gallon bottle of aloe vera.

 

Comments

Popular Posts