Pea Soup in the Northwest






What's a Florida girl to do when it is 51 degrees, cloudy with a most likely chance of rain, and it's the middle of June.  The answer should be get a flight home; but, if that's not possible, a bowl of thick, creamy, soothing split pea soup will do.


I use green split peas from Palouse, WA


Preparing the peas:
One cup of dry peas will make four average servings.  I used two cups, checking carefully through the peas for any small extraneous materials (I found none-that's why I use the Palouse Brand). Wash the peas in a colander to remove any storage dust.  Place the peas in a pot and cover with water and let them soak for about one hour.


Cooking the peas:
Saute two large carrots and green onions in two tablespoons butter until soft.  Add the presoaked peas and 8 cups of water.Simmer the peas for one hour. It may be necessary to add additional water as the peas simmer.


Chop into small pieces







Seasoning the soup:
I never add salt when I cook beans until they are soft, but bay leaves or other herbs to taste are fine. Once the peas are tender I add salt, pepper, and any other seasonings containing salt.




Finishing the soup:
When the peas are done, I add two cups of my homemade cashew milk and adjust the seasoning.

Homemade cashew milk

There are many variations of split pea soup served throughout Europe and North America it was even one of the first street foods sold  from vendors in Athens around 500 BC. I like my split pea soup with visible peas and carrots so I do not blend it into a smooth puree ;but, however you make it, split pea soup is perfect in the rainy Northwest any month of the year.





Words for today:
Psalm 30: 1-12
Matthew 15: 1-20

Comments

Popular Posts