Top 5 Pantry Preps



Well stocked pantry


A few years ago I shared the basic pantry staples I had stockpiled here and also here.  I have made many a nourishing meal with the items from my Key West pantry. Soon, however, I will have much less shelf space as I relocate once again.  So, I thought I would narrow down my essential preps to a nutritional top 5 list.


Variety of protein packed beans

  •  Legumes 

              A glance at nutritional charts will show that all legumes provide slightly different nutrients.                 For that reason eat a variety and try mixing several types together.




Variety of long lasting carbs

  • Grains

             I have had to give all the wheat I had stockpiled to Miss Molly's chickens; too many in the                  family have developed a gluten intolerance; but, there are so many other varieties to choose.




Variety of milks and butters can be made by nuts and seeds

  • Nuts and Seeds

            Healthy and energy- boosting, they make a great snack  as well as  a delicious substitute for                 milk,




Toss a few in water to make a tasty vitamin water



  • Dried Berries

            Sweet, vitamin filled, anti-oxidants that offer a quick snack or delicious boost to many                         recipes.



Provides minerals

Tasty preservatives
  • Preservatives 

           Food must be kept from decay and the earliest and basic preservatives are vinegar, salt and                  sugar.


Comments

Popular Posts