Gomashio: Sesame Salt








A lifetime of wondrous surprises as well as disastrous setbacks have paved the path of my life: finding the old school house and embracing the back to the land movement, babies who grew into adults who bless me, tornadoes taking tops from trees and then jumping the buildings, struggling to make ends meet, and the heartbreak of illness; but, always along the way are the smells of strawberry-rhubarb pies, apple crisps, and fresh veggies from the garden. The food cooked on the old wood stove brought down from a family farm in Michigan, the cookies stored in the owl cookie jar that once was the resting place of my grandfather's hat, fresh free range eggs before it was a label, and always trying new recipes, are adventures along the way. 







The only good thing that came from the macrobiotic diet I  briefly forced upon my family is our love of gomashio.  Gomashio is a dry condiment made from unhulled roasted sesame seeds and  salt lightly ground.  The ratio of salt to seeds varies but 15:1 is my choice.


Black and tan sesame seeds mixed with gray sea salt



 



Toasted over low heat





I like to add the salt during the end of the seed roasting so it roasts a little, too.  Then I coarsely grind the mixture in my spice grinder. Use gomashio as an excellent condiment for any grain or vegetable dish in place of salt. 

 
If I were authentically making the macrobiotic version,  I would grind the mixture using a mortar and pestle.   
 



 
I use gomashio daily as a healthy alternative to plain salt.




Comments

Popular Posts