Longlasting Vanilla Extract and Other Extracts, Too








I can not believe that I wrote about making homemade vanilla extract four years ago while living in Paradise, (aka the Florida Keys). 


Vanilla Extract

Ingredients 
  • 1 glass bottle Vodka (750ml-80proof)  
  • 12 vanilla beans
  • That's it- no strange and unusual ingredients needed to make this wonderful extract.
Directions
  1. Remove about 1/2 cup of the vodka from the bottle
  2. Place cut vanilla beans in the bottle . Most recipes call for using a knife to open the vanilla pods, I use my kitchen shears and just cut the pods into one inch pieces and then add another little snip up the side. ( I have found this method quicker for me.)
  3. Give the bottle a shake -put the lid on tightly  first 
  4. Store in a dark place, shaking when you think about it for at least 6 to twelve weeks


The vanilla extract is aging wonderfully, a great addition to homemade milks as well as in baking.

  There is nothing like using a homemade extract in a recipe. I think it is so much safer than many of the commercial extracts that contain unhealthy additives; and it is really easy to make extracts, just use a good quality of vodka (for neutral flavor) and herbal leaves, beans, peels.  I have made many fruit extracts but never chocolate so I thought I would make some today so it will be ready by Easter.






Chocolate Extract

Ingredients

  • 1 cup Vodka
  • 1/8 cup Cacao powder
  • 1/8 cup Cacao nibs
  1.  Place all ingredients in a clean glass jar and mix well.
  2. Leave in a cool, dark cabinet for 6 weeks (shaking jar often).
  3. Strain to remove Cacao.

 
 


It took me more time to clean up the mess I made opening the Cacao powder then to make the extract.
 


 



Comments

Popular Posts