Fruit and Veggie Wash


 
 
Wash all fruits and vegetables before use


Today's news' headline on a  listeria outbreak in prepackaged salads once again underlined the importance of correct food storage and preparation. I provided directions for an economical  homemade veggie wash several years ago that uses ingredients found in most kitchens; but with another food recall, I thought I should update my post especially after reading this article on bacteria.
Although 4:1 ratio of vinegar should be enough I now use a 3:1 for my produce. I have also reduced the salt to 1 Tablespoon and added one drop of Germ Fighter Essential Oil.
  1. All fruits and vegetables should be washed before food preparation including prepackaged.
  • Discard outer leaves of leafy vegetables
  • Scrub (using a vegetable brush) root vegetables and melons
     2.  Soak washed fruits and vegetables in this veggie wash for 10-15 minutes.

     3.  Rinse well.

     4.  Prepare fruits and vegetables using a clean cutting board and knife.

     5. Remember to clean your refrigerator often (listeria loves a cool and moist environment).



1 cup of vinegar, 1 Tablespoons of Kosher salt, and  3  cups of water into a large bowl. 






One drop of Germ Fighter finishes the recipe.

 


.

Comments

Popular Posts