Cooking Beans and not Black-eyed Peas for 2014

I am from the South and the bean to eat on New Year's Day is the black-eyed pea. I have eaten this legume every New Year's Day my whole life.  But if you remember, January 2013 I shared the organic stockpile Willie and I had in the Keys. The stockpile included 50 pounds each of pinto, navy, and kidney beans- not one pound of which went with Willie when we moved. So, since I have to eat what I stockpile,  no black-eyed peas for me. I decided if I mixed the pinto beans and the navy beans I would have the dark and light effect created by a delicious bowl of black-eyes and good luck would be deceived. Guess I will know by next January.



I soaked the 2 cups of beans overnight and then drained, rinsed, and placed in a heavy dutch oven to cook slowly.  Three bay leaves are all that I add to the beans until they become tender.

 
 
Once the beans are done, slice and sauté 2 onions in a little olive oil until they are golden. Then, add 2 cloves of diced garlic and1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin seeds and cook for another 3 minutes.  Mash half of the beans with the cooking liquid until creamy and add salt, cayenne pepper to taste. Mix in the remainder of the beans and taste for seasoning. Right before serving on the required rice, add 1 cup of sour cream. ( Greens are an important part of New Year's Day dinner; if you want the best greens you have ever tasted ask Miss Molly for her recipe. Or better yet, do what I do and ask her to cook some for you.)


 
I guess I really do not have to wait until 2014 for an example of my good luck, check out this sample of my food for next year.
 
 

 
Happy New Year to everyone and don't forget to stockpile what you really want to eat.




Comments

Popular Posts