Gluten Free Flour Mixes

While living in Paradise, I posted a note on my Facebook page entitled: In Paradise Working on a Great Gluten Free Flour Mix. 


All Purpose Mix
2 1/2 Cups of Brown Rice Flour (finely ground)
1 1/2 Cups of Sorghum Flour
1 1/3 Cups Arrowroot Powder
1/2 Cup Potato Starch (not potato flour)
1/6 Cup Tapioca Flour
1 Tablespoon Xanthan Gum
Makes about 6 Cups of flour.


Bread Flour Mix
1 Cup Oat Flour
1 Cup Brown Rice Flour
1 Cup Millet Flour
1 Cup Sorghum Flour
1 Cup Arrowroot Powder (Corn Starch made be used in place as Arrowroot is pricy- Another option is to increase the potato and tapioca starches)
1 Cup Potato Starch (not potato flour)
1 Cup Tapioca Starch
Makes about 7 cups of flour.

I have used these mixes with some substitutions and additions for the past year.  For example, this morning I made a blend adding oat flour (made in my Blendtech by grinding rolled oats from my preps).

However, I wonder at the nutritional value I am getting from these flour blends and not the whole wheat flour I used to bake with in the past.  So, I began looking up the nutrition data of whole wheat flour --then with a little research and mathematical formulas I would figure out the nutritional value of my mixes.  But then, I discovered this blog titled: All the Love Without the Wheat by Gretchen.  Seems Gretchen had already done all the work for me. ( And, after a little math, I find my blends are close to the nutritional value of the whole wheat I no longer use. )

However, one of the grains I use a lot was not mentioned in Gretchen's blog-millet.  This small grain has long been considered bird seed and as quinoa and amaranth began to be embraced as super foods the little millet remained "for the birds".  I like the way it improves the texture of bread and its sweet-nutty taste is a benefit in baked goods.

Now,  Millet biscuits may not taste like my grandmother's hand rolled biscuits made with white self-rising flour and lard;  but,  they are tasty and much healthier and enjoyed with lots of butter  my gluten free family is happy.


Comments

Popular Posts