Changes in Homemade Dish Soap





I love vinegar! I love to use it when I clean, wash my clothes, cook a pot of greens, and until recently I put it in my homemade dish soap.  Boy, was I making a mistake by including it in the dish soap.  As you can tell, I use Dr. Bronner's Castile Soap as my dish soap base.  His granddaughter, Lisa, writes a wonderful blog I follow and offers a word of caution when mixing soap and vinegar.  It seems the acid in the vinegar will cause the oils that compose the soap to separate.  While it will not create a "bang", it will not be the best cleaner.

So, I have changed my dish washing method.  The soap makes plenty of suds and cleans my dishes well. Then, after I rinse the dishes, I dip them in a sink full of vinegar water to cut soap scum on the dishes as well as in the sink.  This vinegar water I reuse in the garden based on the site ways to garden with vinegar.

My favorite homemade dish soap.





 
 
 
1 cup castile soap (I use Dr. Bronner's)
 
1/4  cup hot water
 
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
 
2 teaspoons baking soda
 
30 drops essential oil ( I mix them up but this time I used tea tree and lavender.)
 
 
Dissolve the salt and baking soda in the hot water.
 
Mix into the castile soap; add the essential oils and give it a good shake.
 
 
 

 




Place in a mason jar with a dispenser.

I usually add 10 drops of a citrus based essential oil to my vinegar rinse for an additional sanitizing and grease cutting boost.

Comments

Popular Posts