Elderberry Tea

 

 I am a big fan of elderberry syrup and make it for my family to use during the winter flu and cold season; but, I am currently far away from home and my kitchen and its variety of preps, herbs and spices.  It is already getting cloudy and cool in the tiny kitchen so I decided to brew elderberry tea as a soothing everyday drink to use until I return home.  It is a quick and delicious tea easily made with just elderberries, water, and whatever flavors or sweeteners you like to add.


Organic Elderberries



Two tablespoons elderberries per 16 ounces of  filtered water




Bring to a boil then reduce heat




Simmer for 15 minutes-and drain



Flavor with honey



Enjoy

I thought I would include the nutritional facts I found online. They speak to the benefit of the elderberry. Just remember there are parts of the plant that are not to be eaten and the berries themselves must be cooked. This is an article that explains the safety of the elderberry plant.


Elderberry Nutrition Facts

Amount Per 
Calories 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.7 g1%
Saturated fat 0 g0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.4 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 9 mg0%
Potassium 406 mg11%
Total Carbohydrate 27 g9%
Dietary fiber 10 g40%
Protein 1 g2%

Vitamin A17%Vitamin C87%
Calcium5%Iron12%
Vitamin B-615%Vitamin B-120%
Magnesium1%



Comments

Popular Posts